Monday, March 14, 2011

Emotional... What? Who Are You Calling Emotional?

Certainly you don't mean me! Couldn't possibly be...

Oh, of course it's me. It's my lot in life. I wear my heart out on my sleeve, and I am far too sensitive for most males, and even some females, to tolerate. Now add to the existing over-sensitivity a pile of girl hormones. See where I'm going with this? Okay wait, there's more. Add prenancy or post-partum insanity to that mess! A woman deserves a good two-year free pass when it comes to post-partum adjusting, wouldn't you say, girls?

There you have it. A trainwreck. I think we could all relate to that term at one point in our lives or another. Personality, stresses, hormones... all contributors to our emotional existence. And sometimes there's just no emotional outlet, so what do we do? Eat them!

Does anyone else find it difficult to maintain a healthy regimen when your stress level is through the roof? If you find yourself lonely, or grief-stricken, or stressed out over a difficult situation do you find yourself consoling with your favorite comfort food?

Risking the shaking heads and the tsk-tsk's, I'll say that I do. This week has been tough for me emotionally. Mike's time away is starting to take its toll on me, other stresses in my life are magnified by it, my social contact with friends and family is terribly limited, and it's turning to a minute-to-minute battle to stay out of the kitchen. I can overcome it, but I'll tell you, I've experienced few things in life that take as much self-control and discipline as making good food choices does when everything in me is willing me to eat what I crave.

Whew. Okay, now that I've said it, I think I can stare it in the face and push forward! I think when my garden area is finally tilled, I'll have a place to put my focus besides working in the kitchen. I can't wait for that. Looks like it could be tomorrow or Thursday. I need the diversion!!

Anyone else struggling?

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you're talking yourself through it and using your "outlet" to help you! I enjoy reading your blog and one of these days I'm going to try some of your recipes. I would also LOVE to do a garden this year...it would be so much more less expensive! Maybe I can get my parents in on it! Keep me posted on how you're doing and hang in there! ;)

    ReplyDelete